Ok... I just gotta tell ya - here in the Great White (or at least Scrubs part of the Great White) we were treated to summer weather. Ya-frackin'-hoo! All us Canucks were out there without our skins and furs on. Pastey white caucasions everywhere. Looked like mole-people that had just come up from underground. Scrub even fired up the Q tonight and seared up some animal flesh and shoved it 'tween two halves of a bun. MMMMM tasty. ONLY thing missing - cold, frosty and frothy barley, malt and hops blend. OH - and the Wife... she even whipped up a lil' somethin' somethin' in the kitchen too! Huh? Oh - c'mon, don't be shocked. It is, after all, April. So, the Wife - whipped up some onion strings. Wha's that you ask? Oh - just git yer imagination hats on and dig this: BIG sweet onion, sliced up thin, soaked in buttermilk, tossed in a flour, salt, pepper and cayenne dusting, then tossed into some hot oil to sizzle up for about a min or two, taken out of the hot oil, on to paper towel just long enough to cool down. Crispy, seasoned, onion-y. Holy Crap! DO IT! We ate 'em just as a companion to our charred animal flesh on buns. But, I can just imagine those buggers on top of a Philly Cheesesteak, or on smashed spuds. Oh my goodness.
Oh, hey... few of the folk 'round these parts of the Great White see Scrub now and then in the flesh. No, no... not nekkid. Just 'in person'. Ya know. And, there has been some talk 'bout Scrub's most recent post about Hurricane Rona. Not sure what I mean? It was the post just 'fore this one. Scroll down - it's there. Promise. Too lazy to scroll? Ya, don't blame ya. Here's the summary:
- Hurricane Rona
- Ditz with directions, just like Scrub
- Takes magic box of directions to find her way to gal pals house few hours from here
- Gets there
- Magic Box of directions says "You have arrived"
- Hurricane goes stormin into the house 'cause she gots to pee after long trip
- Hurricane, proudly annouces her arrival to houseful of people - asks where is the bathroom
- Person at house tells Hurricane that she is in wrong house. All the people there - ya... for a wake. Their pappy just passed.
But - on to the topic at hand for a Saturday night. Thought ya'll might like to know Scrubbie's Favourite Fives. Sure - now and then, I'll throw out a little list of Scrubbie's Favourite Fives. It's self explanatory. Here goes.
Scrubbie's Favourite Fives: SANDWICHES
1. Clubhouse - on toasted white bread, real bacon, cheddar cheese, 2 tier, sliced diagonal with a frilly toothpick to hold it together. Heaven.
2. Assorted Cold Cuts, Italian Sub. Again - toasted. Onion, lettuce, tomato, hot pepper rings, cucumber slices, mozz cheese - all melty. Salt, pepper and Italian Dressing as a sauce. Sweet mother of Mary. Take me now.
3. Cheeseburger. Homemade, of course. Half ground pork, half ground beef. Salt, pepper, Ketchup, Mustard powder, few drops of Louisanana Hot Sauce, chopped onion, chopped coriander, minced garlic, wee little bit of ground ginger, and egg and some seasoned bread crumbs. Squish like yer makin mud pies. Form deelishush burg patties. Cook 'em up good over fire. Slice of cheese on at the last minute to get gooey on top. Served on a kaiser roll. This, kids, tends to be Scrub's birthday dinner of choice.
4. Grilled Cheese - a classic. Couple slices of bread. Slice of cheese in between. Butter up the outside of the slices. Toss it in a fry pan till golden brown. Diagonal slice. Dollop of ketchup for dipping. Few Bread N Butter pickles on the side. Cold glass of milk. Total comfort food.
5. The grand-pappy of all sandwiches: The PB&J. Yes. Peanut Butter and Raspberry or Strawberry Jam. No description required. And, no better way to feel like a kid.
There ya have it. Scrub - LOVES sandwiches. When I expire - the Wife... she is gonna bury me 'tween two slices of bread.
Those are gonna be BIG frilly toothpicks.