Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

The Night Before

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore, While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping, As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door...

Goooood Eeeev'ning. Itssss Ssssscrubbie here kidlings.

Well ya - there's been many an incarnation of scary-boo-ness 'round the Scrub shack lo these many years. I think the first round for the kid - the Wife and me cut a hole in a pillowcase. Draped it over the Kid's head and badda-boom badda-bing - instant widdle ghost. I'm sure there is a pic floating around somewhere of him like that. I think that was back in the days of hard-copy only pics and our copy might have gone up in smoke with the fire. I'll have to check around with the fam and see if they have a copy I can digitize for future keepin'.

And, as the years passed, and the costumes came and went - one thing always remained. A good time was had by all.

In recent years, the kid bein' the little social butterfly he is, always has grabbed a punk pal or two to do some trick or treatin' with.

The pic there? Ya - that was last year. Punk pal Bobby and other punk pal Happy Meal - they joined the Kid for an evening of sugar.

This year? Well - bein the boy is a teen now... we'll see how the wanderin' around the neighbourhood thing goes. The Wife and me - we've never really had a problem with the older kids comin' around for a sugar fix at Halloween. Only when they are rappin' on the door later in the evening that it makes us cringe.

One thing for sure though - the Kid is havin a couple of buds over at the Scrub shack for a sleepover tomorrow night.

Hmmmmmm. Now that I am thinking of it. Punk pals. Teenagers. Sugar. And lots of it. Sleepover. Scrub's place.

Yes - I'll have to hit the local trading post to pick up a new lock so I can bolt the door to the engine room downstairs closed. That'll keep the little sugar-high testosterones contained.

Lets hope, anyway.


No comments: